The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Saturday, March 7, 2015

March 1 - 7

Hello March! It's starting to feel like spring, even with the several feet of snow and temperatures in the teens.

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
My goodness this kid swears a lot! It's very distracting and bothersome. If I wanted to listen to a fourteen-year-old, I'd go help out at the high school. I can say that Salinger did at least capture the voice well, but JEEZ, on a personal level it was hard to deal with and I nearly put it down every time I started again. I think it was a large part of why that relatively short book took me so long to get through.

Kind of dull. Someone in class this week used it as an example of "a book with no plot." I used Country of the Pointed Firs as my example, if you recall that one (it's in here somewhere...). I guess I agree with that argument. I think the most interesting thing about the book was the way it was a tragi-comedy. Holden puts on a face, and that is supposed to be funny (and at times it certainly is), but he is one sad boy. The world has got him down and he just hates everything except his little sister and his dead brother. The only thing he ever seems to not hate is children, which is a sign of how he views them as uncorrupted at their young ages, unlike everyone and everything else in the world (in his mind). That could be an interesting consideration of the novel, but as a simple story, it was pretty lacking. I think any depth from this book comes in discussion.

What Was She Thinking? [Notes on a Scandal] by Zoe Heller
A floaty new teacher named Sheba stumbles into a young male student's arms. Their ages and positions as teacher and pupil are obvious problems, forcing them to keep everything under wraps. The fact that Sheba has a husband and children certainly don't make things any easier. We already know that she has been exposed, and is evidently being taken care of by a friend in her time of need. How did this all happen? That's what this kind friend of Sheba is here to tell us about.

I was surprised by how much I liked this book! Maybe I'm just a sucker for teacher drama since it plays to my interests, but the characters were unexpected and their interactions even more so. The narrator felt like she was losing it a bit at the end there, and it had a distinctly creepy feeling to it that I couldn't quite place that I can't wait to discuss with everyone. The usual role reversal was refreshing, and some of the points made in the story via other characters' comments and judgments made me chuckle. It feels like a novel packed with moments that could be used for anyone's political agenda. Feminism and double standards? Definitely. To Catch a Predator-esque commentary about our children's safety? You betcha. Help services about abusive relationships? In a number of surprising ways, without a doubt.


Legend by Marie Lu
This is the same lady who recently published The Young Elites which I read a few weeks back. I didn't realize that when I bought it on sale on Google Play the other night, but I guess I've found a new author I like. This is a distinctly young adult dystopian novel, as I've been diving into quite voraciously lately (when I have time, that is). I'm very barely into this one, only a few chapters (maybe thirty pages) but I'm already quite drawn in! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment