The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Friday, January 2, 2015

December 28 - January 3

It's a new year!
And yet, I managed to cram in one last book before it ended. I'm going to tag this only with 2014 because I did read this last book in 2014.

Teaching Will by Mel Ryane
There is a story behind this book. I entered a giveaway contest for it on Goodreads probably sometime in early November 2014. Totally forgot about it. Never heard from it again. Then one day I stopped to pick up the mail and had an unexpected pacakge, containing a signed copy of the book and a letter saying I had won the contest! AWESOME?! So I sat down in read it in two days (although a span of three because one day in the middle I couldn't read because of other obligations). It was absolutely wonderful!
Now to the actual book. I think the fact that I plowed through it in just two days says a lot. It's easy to read, and it keeps you wanting to read. The pacing is done really well, and you get through a year of time in just a couple hundred pages. There's always something new happening, some new issue arising that has you feeling right there with the author, "Oh no, what to do about this?!" Ryane captured the craziness and struggles of teaching very well, and has so many of the same issues as all early teachers do, and also ended up at the same conclusion: it was hell, and there's no way I'd give it up. Despite the struggles, Ryane ends the book mentioning her next year with a new group. This book was insightful and terribly funny, with just the right amount of painful cringing moments. I highly suggest it, especially to any other teachers who will recognize themselves in so many moments of Ryane's early struggles, despite their subject area.

No comments:

Post a Comment