The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Saturday, March 28, 2015

March 22 - 28

Champion by Marie Lu
The series was interesting enough to get me through to the end, but I was kind of disappointed by the turns it took into slightly cliched territory. The big final twist was definitely a cliche... but not from the expected set of Y.A cliches. Seems like Lu looked for a surprise ending from a different genre. Interesting though, definitely unexpected. I feel like this book was less strong than the others though, like maybe the author was starting to get tired of the world and just wanted to wrap everything up.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
WOW, did not expect so much from this book! The big twist was a complete surprise to me, which gave the rest of my experience reading a really eerie quality since the narrator did exactly what was intended.

I don't even know how to write about it if someone hasn't read it....

The longer it's been since I've read this book the more I can appreciate it. It was surprisingly well written (surprising only because it was recently a successful movie... I'm a bit biased), and it affected me quite strongly at points, to the level where I would sometimes need to stop reading for a little while, even though I was so invested in finding out what was going to happen. This modern day murder mystery pulled me in like murder mysteries rarely do.


No comments:

Post a Comment