The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Friday, January 16, 2015

January 11 - 17

What's on the bill:
I got the book list for my English class on unreliable narrators, and it's looking pretty solid! Expect to hear about Gone Girl, Fight Club, Pale Fire, and We Came to the End along with several others! I'm pretty excited!

The Call of Earth by Orson Scott Card
Stefan's voice reading Orson's words is a wonderful combination. The second book is holding up strong as we travel to other cities in the land and learn a bit about places outside of Basilica. The oldest brother, Elyemac (and I very well could have the spelling wrong since I've been hearing it, not seeing it--audiobook, remember?) is going absolutely bonkers. He's pretty much freaking me out, and I'm not sure how no one else is seeing it!! The charismatic new general is a delightful character though, clever and charming and deadly and completely aware that he is all of that and more. I'm quite excited to see where his plot line leads to.

After reading a bit more (well, finishing the book, really) I am absolutely delighted with the way all the loose ends came together in the end to reveal that they were all part of the same string the whole time. It was done in a very tidy and intriguing way, and I think the next book will be the most exciting yet!

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Well, I just couldn't stay away. I was so excited to read this that I already started it, although I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it before we start reading it in class (because I may just choose to save some of the excitement!). It's incredible to see how closely the movie really does mimic the book. The lines are almost always the exact same as in the book! I'm glad to see that both were done well. I read one time that the author of Fight Club actually said he thought the movie did a better job than the book---his own book! Anyway, the book is holding up wonderfully, and it's interesting to see all the clues to the big reveal at the end as I go through the novel. The hints are scattered so wonderfully! Marla always seems like she's nuts before you learn the truth, but then everything makes so much sense!! Oh, I can't wait to discuss this in class! I hope there are at least a few people who aren't familiar with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment