The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Thursday, May 28, 2015

May 17 - 23

I knew I'd kick back into high gear!
So I am home from school now and have had some time to regain my wits. I have also had time to visit the library, which I've only been able to visit once before since it was built a few years back. It was terribly exciting! And as you can see, I picked up an entire series that I've been wanting to read. Very nice welcome home!

The Selection by Kiera Cass
I PLOWED through this one! I started it at about 7pm and read until I finished it at 2am. My favorite part? The foreword, where Kiera begins by saying "Okay, in case you're in a hurry or are tired because you stayed up really late to finish this..." Oh, how accurate that was! It wasn't a terribly original plot or anything, but after what I've been reading --(refresher: critical analyses)-- this was a DELICIOUS break for my mind. It had some unexpected moments of intrigue behind the predictable girly backstabbing and drama. Basically, this is a dystopian-ish form of the show  The Bachelor.

The Elite by Kiera Cass
It was interesting to get the additional character development here, to actually have few enough girls remaining to have personalities beyond "she's nice" or "she's mean" or "she's manipulative" and whatnot. Quite frankly, I'm having some trouble remembering what was in this one because I read each book in such quick succession. I do have to say though: what's up with the king? I feel like that was a plot line barely established before it was snuffed out.

The One by Kiera Cass
Okay, well, the cover and the title pretty much assure you of what happens at the end. She tries to throw you off in the final hour, but in the final minute she brings you back around to the usual conventions. It was an interesting and bold move though, at least more so than usually seen in the genre. However, it's a good thing this was the final novel because it entered that territory of the boy and the girl just fighting over stupid things and making way to big a deal out of things that would have been barely a speck on the radar if they had just freaking talked to each other! So minus some points for being one of those miscommunication stories, because those are too common and dull. It was really weird as well though because  it felt like really interesting things could have come in the next book... If it existed. :/

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
While I am excited to get back into this gripping story, I'm also slogging through it a little bit. The point where I became too busy to read was in the middle of a very political section, complete with protests and detainment camps. It was interesting, but at times got very philosophical and kind of lost me. I haven't gotten too much further, but I am interested in seeing how he pulls everything together, especially since we know the ending is not in Elphaba's favor.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
In the midst of all my fiction I finished up my nonfiction, a controversial piece this time. This is the author talks about how she gets her children to be excellent musicians and star students and that kind of thing, as many Asian children are according to her. I can see how the controversy comes in, as she often puts down things that seem kind of weird, like having fun and caring about your child's feelings. Those moments through me off, as did an early scene where she puts her three-year-old out into a snowstorm because she refused to do a musical drill or something like that. That's the moment that made me go, "Oh, I see now". With that said, it was still very interesting, & I think she has valid points. Either way, it's her opinion. As for the experience of it as a book, it was very well done. It was chronologically organized, and there were many funny stories. There are also many touching moments, where I found myself smiling and cheering for the girls as well as the mother. There were moments of pain and failure, but that exist in any life and so it made it feel like a more balanced and fair point of view. The sorry if it is, I enjoyed this book, and kept in mind that different people parent in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment