The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Saturday, December 27, 2014

December 21 - 27

The Host by Stephanie Meyer
I've read this so many times before, but this time it was an audiobook. I was having trouble falling asleep one night, and reading always makes me sleepy, so I thought a book being read to me would be just as good if not better. I borrowed this one from my online library, and I was asleep in no time. Then I fell into the story again, and put it on whenever there was some silence that needed filling: while cleaning my room, while driving in my radio-less truck (seriously, it's just a plastic dash--I don't even have the option of a cassette!) or any other time.

Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik
Another solid installation of the Temeraire series, although to be honest, this one took me so long (for whatever reason) that I can't really remember what happened in this book or the one(s) before it. Regardless, the story is still progressing! I'm excited too, because judging from the ending, with Laurence and Temeraire getting shipped off to Australia, I think there might be a bit of a break from all the military combat. It's very well done, but these little breaks that Novik works in the series are perfectly timed to keep me going. I'm looking forward to the next one (which I already have downloaded!).

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Yay, I finished it! I actually finished this so early in the week that I forgot I finished it this week and had to edit this in here after checking the other entries! I plowed through this once I got home for break, and it was incredibly well done. It was very exciting to go to a new land, and the new potential allies and enemies there have me all excited for what's coming next. This one had a lot of back story and revelations and lore, but it was woven into the action so as to prevent it from becoming a dull historical recitation. Maas seems to be very good at that, because I made similar comments about the last book (noting that the second book in a series is often the dull "character development" one). I'm glad the main character finally got herself together and moved past the wallowy sadness phase, although even that wasn't overdone or annoying. However, I'm excited to see what she can do when she's actually thinking and in control of herself. As for the romance plot, I'm actually pretty unsure of any of those possible tangled ends, for any of the characters. Very well written! And thank goodness that those are taking a bit of a backseat to the true drama of the world. Romance is good as a spice, but not so much as the main flavor, at least not here.


How odd...
This is the last post of the year! Kind of anyway: next post will be a few days of this remaining year and few days of THE FUTURE! Whoohoo, and look out for a new label!

No comments:

Post a Comment