The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Saturday, December 6, 2014

November 30 - December 6

Empire of Ivory: A Novel of Temeraire by Naomi Novik
I finally finished this one! It was pretty solid, and introduced some new issues and elements. I also finally got o the point where I found out in the eighth book which I accidentally began what Laurence does to commit treason (!!). It was pretty much excellent, especially the ending. It dropped off in the middle of the action on a cliffhanger---very well done!


Victory of Eagles: A Novel of Temeraire by Naomi Novik
Luckily, this one picked up right where the last one left off, so I didn't really have to wait to see what happened. I"m only about a third of the way through, but the threat of death is hanging over Laurence's head (pretty literally!). I really like that I'm getting the novel straight from Temeraire though since he's super interesting. He seems to be up to something, something rebellious and exciting!


The Country of Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
So far, not much has really happened in this book. The majority of our class discussion was "does this book have a plot?" Not "what is the plot?" but does it even have one. We also talked about old people. So yeah, not a lot going on. Unsurprisingly, it takes place in Maine. ;) It's largely an examination of the characters of the old people who live in the town that the narrator is visiting. Not much really happens. I'm genuinely not super sure what... was... why it was written, I suppose. My thought is that it was somewhat meta, and the novel was sort of a post-product of an actual experience of the writer that was hinted at in the novel. That doesn't really sound right either, but I can't think of anything else despite lengthy group discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment