The Blithedale Romance
Black Powder War
The Linwoods, Or,
The Linwoods, Or,
Ormond; or, the Secret Witness: With Related Texts
Throne of Jade
His Majesty's Dragon
Defiance
How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
Outbreak
The Awakening
The Runaway King
Bliss
The False Prince
The Wise Man's Fear
Back To The Divide

Saturday, June 13, 2015

June 7 - 13

Teach like your hair is on fire by Rafe Esquith
I picked this book up at a goodwill for $3, and I would say it was definitely worth that investment and more. I didn't realize that this teacher was in elementary school, but for once that doesn't actually matter too much. Many of the activities and ideas that he uses with his children I could easily see being used with older students as well. I think that is the mark of something that does well: when it is easily adaptable and interesting for any age. He's going through each subject now as well, and so far I have seen reading, writing, math, and am currently hearing about social studies. Another little thing that I enjoyed is that he explained the story behind the title right away. I wasn't kept in suspense, it was a story that set the frame for the rest of the book well, and introduced him as a teacher. I'd say so far that this book is quite well done.

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan
Finally! I have been waiting to read this book since I picked it off a shelf at the used bookstore. The title, of course, caught my attention. It sounded pretty funny too, as Lucifer is given a chance to potentially rejoin God in heaven if he can live sin-free in a human's body for one month. That's not in Lucifer's plan though, and he's basically just screwing around and having fun, which is a delight to watch. The descriptions and language in this novel I feel evoke the image of Lucifer well. They're very fluid and flowery and honestly quite stunningly beautiful at times. The humor is wonderful, as well.
I'm a little less than half way through right now, but I have had a little bit of a problem. For a book about the devil, there sure is a lot of stuff about the Bible and God. While it is an amusing and intriguing take on the whole matter, it still goes into long tangents about biblical things that kind of lose my interest. Not sure how much that will affect the rest of my reading but for now I'm hoping it gets toned down a little bit.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
While I have read this before, it was years ago in seventh grade. I think I missed a lot of it, particularly because I thought it would be more like a children's story with kids who stole books or a young boy Robin Hood or something. Either way, I read it and thought, "Eh." From what I remembered, I didn't think that was a totally fair estimate looking back with my adultish eyes. I decided I would reread it, and so I have. Already, I'm understanding more and seeing things I missed. I'm really glad I thought to do this. The perspective from death is very interesting, and I love the little inserts in the book with definitions and list.

The Last Wish  by Andrzej Sapkowski
I bought a book for Luke this week, but I kind of nabbed it for myself before I gave it to him and managed to read about 150 pages before I passed it along to him. It's the series by the polish author that the Witcher games are based on. This one was actually written most recently, but it's set up to be an introduction to the characters and world (in fact, it's literally called "An Introduction to the Witcher"). It's set up as a series of short stories to explain the one smaller main story. I'm interested to see where it goes, and what the main storyline will be in the later books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment